Subject: Re: more list attacks - some mail headers
From: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg @ monkeys . com>
Date: Tue, 23 Mar 1999 20:15:20 -0800
To: Joe Brennan <brennan @ watsun . cc . columbia . edu>
Cc: Benji Spencer <spunge @ spunge . org>, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM, majordomo-users @ GreatCircle . COM

In message <CMM.0.90.4.922124959.brennan@watsol>, you wrote:

>I didn't have time yet to draw up a report to data.net.mx but we are
>rejecting their dialups as well...

If you are smart, you will reject _all_ direct connects to your SMTP port
from _all_ dialups, other than your own.  If you get a direct connect to
your SMTP port from a dialup that is not your own, then it is probably
one having evil intent behind it, e.g. either spamming or mailbombing,
or subscription bombing, or the latest twist... harvesting of E-mail
addresses (for later spamming) direct from your SMTP server.

>I just saw internet.com.mx this morning.  Their hostnames are not
>available through nslookup...

Try it again from another machine.

As far as I know, all of the internet.com.mx dialups _do_ have reverse
DNS, and they all fit the regular expression pattern:

	^inter[0-9]+\.internet\.com\.mx$

-- Ron Guilmette, Roseville, California ---------- E-Scrub Technologies, Inc.
-- Deadbolt(tm) Personal E-Mail Filter demo: http://www.e-scrub.com/deadbolt/
-- Wpoison (web harvester poisoning) - demo: http://www.e-scrub.com/wpoison/

    "Ping can be used offensively, and it's shipped with every windows CD"
                                                  -- Steve Atkins