Subject: Re: InterNIC is History
From: Vince Sabio <vince @ humournet . com>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 12:18:27 -0500
To: Mitch Collinsworth <mkc @ Graphics . Cornell . EDU>
Cc: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg @ monkeys . com>, List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

** Sometime around 12:08 -0500 03/24/99, Mitch Collinsworth sent everyone:

>>>I'm not sure which WHOIS server _you_ are talking about,
>>
>>Port 23 -- the CLI server that has for years been available at the
>>standard telnet port.
>>
>>>but the normal
>>>WHOIS server (port 43) run by Internic still seems to be alive and well
>>>and answering queries as of five seconds ago.
>>
>>That's what I referred to as the distributed whois server -- which, yes,
>>is still running (thank glub).
>
>Hmm,  either I'm confused here or you are.  (And I'm necessarily
>assuming it's you.)  My experience is that the whois database and the
>root DNS database are not in fact the same thing.  I have seen a skew
>problem between them that took months to correct.  If you _really_ want
>to know who someone's nameservers are, look at the NS records in the DNS.
>Whois is (sometimes) useful for contact info, but I wouldn't trust it
>beyond that.

For most pursuits for which I (and many folks) use whois, the distinction
is irrelevant. If I really need DNS records, I use nslookup.

Are we somehow getting bogged down in minutia and failing to see that
there's a forest of change occurring here -- and it's not necessarily
a harbinger of *good* change?

Vince Sabio            Boy & His Sabre: <http://www.insane.net/tsc/Vince/>
vince@humournet.com            Stop Internet Spam! <http://www.cauce.org/>