Subject: Re: InterNIC is History
From: Mitch Collinsworth <mkc @ Graphics . Cornell . EDU>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 1999 16:13:06 -0500
To: "Nathan J. Mehl" <memory @ blank . org>
Cc: Vince Sabio <vince @ humournet . com>, List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

>> I might be missing something but what could you do with the telnet
>> interface that you can't do with dig or nslookup?  (both CLI)
>
>Er, you're missing quite a bit.  whois != dns.

Correctomundo.  When I wrote this it was in response to a reference
to a telnet interface to a root server, which implies DNS.  Note my
later message pointing out this very fact when Vince's later message
made it clear that he was in fact referring to a telnet interface to
whois.

Also note Vince's later message suggesting we not get bogged down in
"minutia".

-Mitch