Subject: Re: list attacks
From: "Mally" <nemesis @ paralynx . com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 02:11:10 -0800
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

> In message <3.0.5.32.19990318222125.00809100@spunge.org>, you wrote:
>
> >Hello
> >
> >one of the sites that I run majordomo (1.94.3 on one, and 1.94.4 on the
> >other) seems to be egtting hit his mass-subscribes. No, not the type
> >where a lot of people are subscribed, but rather where 1 person attempts
> >to join all the lists at a site.
>
> It is probably somebody trying to subscription bomb somebody else.
>
> You should secure all of your lists with an up-front subscription con-
> firmation process (done via E-mail) in order to to minimize the damage to
> the bombed party.

I run my list with subscribe set at "closed+confirm", refuse to accept any
remail addresses without a legitimate ISP address that I can send a confirm
respond email to (admin keeps that address confidential - but I can get full
headers that way).  And the "Who" list is locked.  A nuisance, but it keeps the
spammers and trolls away.  "Sam Spade" s/w is very useful too.  ;)  We may lose
some would be members because it all seems very confusing and time consuming,
but it sure helps keep the peace.  :)

Got a remail sub request a couple of days ago, sent the form letter saying we
needed a legitimate address and was given one from mail.mty.itesm.mx (a
university I gather).  The confirm respond request never got returned from that
one.  Hmmm.....

Mally  :)