Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(May 1999)

Subject: Re: Moderating and off-topic posts
From: Olwen Williams <olwen @ ihug . co . nz>
Date: Mon, 03 May 1999 08:05:05 +1200
To: David Sharp <david . sharp @ afp . com>, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

This happens the whole time on a list I run about obesity surgery.  We have a
parallel list just for chat.  There are about 841 people on the main list as I
write and 195 on the other list.  Some people haven't liked the moderation
policy and have gone of and started other lists.  Our feeling is that with 840
people (and growing by the day) that we can't please everyone, and a lot of
people like it as it is.  One reason for moderating (apart from stopping flame
wars) was that many people complained about the level of mail, and the
off-topic posts.