Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(May 1999)

Subject: Re: egroups mail problem - no Date field
From: John R Levine <johnl @ iecc . com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 11:18:18 -0400 (EDT)
To: Steve Washam <sew @ valint . net>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

> I can't tell from RFC822 if Date is a required field or not
> 'cause all that meta notation makes my eyes glaze over.

According to RFC822, the date header is required, but I've never seen an
MTA that would reject a message for lacking a date.

News software is much pickier, and there are lots of header flaws that will
keep a message from passing through a mail to news gateway.  I use INN, and
my gateway script checks for invalid message ids, duplicate date or message
id lines, missing subject, and a bunch of other errors like that.

Regards,
Finger for PGP key, f'print = 3A 5B D0 3F D9 A0 6A A4  2D AC 1E 9E A6 36 A3 47