Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(May 1999)

Subject: Re: Automatic confirmations
From: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ Mcs . Net>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 16:44:27 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Byron asked,

| What's the deal with all the automatic responses lately??
|
| We have several listowners who have begun receiving automatic replies to
| posts. Many simply say "Read:" on the subject line; these appear
| to be generated by the latest Outlook "upgrade", v8.5. Does anyone know
| where/how to turn these off in Outlook?
|
| Others say "Message delivered" and appear to be generated by "X-Mailer:
| Internet Mail Service", another MS product.
|
| Anyone else seeing these?

I haven't seen those in particular, but I've gotten "message opened" auto-
has been to shut off the subscription and to notify the subscriber that she
(as it chances, all three incidents were with female people) should let me
know when she has it fixed and then I'll reinstate her.  But if she tells
me it's fixed and then it happens again, she's history.

Two never replied and eventually I purged their subscription records.  One
said it was fixed, but when I reenabled her subscription it happened again
immediately, so I removed her.  None of them actually fixed it as far as I
know.