Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(May 1999)

Subject: Re: Automatic confirmations
From: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ Mcs . Net>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 10:03:26 -0500 (CDT)
To: chuqui @ plaidworks . com (Chuq Von Rospach)
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Von Rospach pronounced:

| The joy of Lotus notes is that this is an administrator-set option,
| and a site-wide one. So the user can't turn it off. they have to
| convince the admin to turn it off for everyone.

If their choice of mail software is something so tightly locked into the idea
that all email is intramural, then she probably shouldn't be using her work
account to subscribe to a list like mine.  In any case, she *certainly*
should admit that she can't do anything about the problem instead of lying to
me that it is fixed.  You conveniently overlooked that aspect.

| Me, I just tossed together a couple of quick procmail recipes to
| throw that stuff out.

| I happen to think I run the lists for the convenience of my users, not that
| they subscribe based on how convenient it is for me...

Amazing.  The guy's been on the net since it was made of clay pots and strips
of reed because tin cans and string hadn't been invented yet, but he still
thinks that sarcastic self-praise works.

Put the meat-axe away, Chuq.  You run a lot of business-oriented lists that
people are supposed to receive at their jobs; I run only one remaining list,
it is strictly for a leisure purpose, and nobody has to belong to it.  Your
booting a subscriber would impair his or her job performance; my kicking one
off just decreases his or her entertainment a little.  Moreover, you are paid
to run many of your lists, are you not?  All I get for running mine are
higher electricity and phone bills.  So don't try to lump my situation in
with yours and don't try to attribute our different policies wholly to
differences in our personalities.  Our positions are not comparable.

If she had been honest and said she couldn't turn them off, I'd have advised
her to open a webmail or popmail account on a free service and to get my list
at that address.  If she was not permitted to do so from her job and had no
computer at home, then sorry, but if she wants to do things on the net that
her employer doesn't permit from company machinery, she needs to do it with
non-company machinery, and I won't knowingly be a part of jeopardizing her
job.  You'd accommodate her mailer's silliness, and we'd both be right.  If
I were paid to run a business-oriented list, I'd do as you are doing.

The truth is that we agree: cutting someone on Lotus Notes off your lists
would hurt his or her job performance because then he or she wouldn't get
valuable information for doing the work; keeping someone on Lotus Notes on
my list hurts his or her job performance because he or she is using the e-
mail account for personal diversion.  Your policy of quietly aschanning the
"message opened" blurbs and mine of not sending my list to such an address
support a common goal of protecting the subscriber's livelihood.

So put the meat-axe away, Chuq, and if you have to dismount your lofty steed
to return the cleaver to storage, so much the better.