Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(August 1999)

Subject: Re: eGroup - What's with the clause?
From: SRE <eckert @ climber . org>
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 18:19:51 -0700
To: matthew . simpson @ erols . com
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 08:10 PM 8/8/99 -0700, matthew.simpson@erols.com wrote:
>I'm considering moving my list of 500+ folks to eGroup.  But I'm
>concerned about the first message in the attached clause of their legal
>agreement.  Does this basically sign the list over to them?

Yes, that's what it means. They can take posts from your subscribers
and sell them as a database. They can sell the names of everyone
who posted. They can distill your knowledge into a book and sell it.
In no case can you ever tell them not to use the material in any
way they see fit... and they don't pay you a dime for anything, ever.

It's a bad deal. Find a real ISP (a little one like JetCafe.org or any
number of great big ones). It's only 10 or 20 bucks a month for you to
keep your rights.

By the way, organizations (like the Sierra Club) that have email
servers of their own are starting to write clauses like the one
RETROACTIVELY after people set up lists on their server. Beware!

SRE

mailto:eckert@climber.org | http://www.climber.org/eckert/
Info on peak climbing email lists mailto:info@climber.org

Anarchism is founded on the observation that since few men are wise
enough to rule themselves, even fewer are wise enough to rule others.
       - Edward Abbey