Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(August 1999)

Subject: Re: eGroup - the Sanity Clause...
From: Tim Bowden <tcbowden @ clovis . nerdnosh . org>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 99 07:13:05 PST
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

matthew.simpson@erols.com writes:

> I'm considering moving my list of 500+ folks to eGroup.  But I'm
> concerned about the first message in the attached clause of their legal
> agreement.  Does this basically sign the list over to them?

Just an attempt at looking at the other side before the onslaught
of Privacy Proctors; let me say that I would not operate eGroup
or any like service without a similar clause.  If you have hundreds
coming through your doors, you will have the dissatisfied, you will
even have the unstable, and a standard Twit-Off Turn calls for the
disabused dud to demand under legal threat all her/is treasures be
removed on those premises.  Another possibility (this one I haven't
experienced) is a demand for "royalties" from their various maggot
opusii.

Would anyone here open up a list management operation without any
sort of understanding about the goods posted?  Would you, in this
day and age, enter into any bargain at all without some agreement
about the product?

mailto:tcbowden@clovis.nerdnosh.org (Tim Bowden)
Proud member of NERDNOSH (tm)!
mailto:majordomo@story.nerdnosh org