Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(August 1999)

Subject: Re: Useless NDRs [Was: Nondeliverable mail]
From: Istvan Berkeley <istvan @ usl . edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Aug 1999 16:56:08 -0500
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Hi there,
My list, PHILOSOP, suffers a great deal from NDR's. This is in large
part due to the fact that it is quite a large list and has a global span
(I have subscribers from every continent, with the exception of
Antarctica). This means errors can arise for all sorts of reasons (e.g.
some sys admins in Israel went on strike a while ago). Most problems I
can eventually sort out. However, there are a persistent few...

At the current time, I have a bad problem with a .com subscription that
appears to be forwarding to a site somewhere in .nl, whilst stripping
all the useful info from the headers. Forwarding systems are often a
cause of headaches. However, the very worst offenders, in my experience,
are AOL. I have had a persistent NDR from one of my dozen or so AOL
subscribers which has been with me for months. The alleged username is
not in my subscriber base. I assume that it is someone's AOL alias. I
have tried to contact AOL, but have receieved nothing other than
automated responses.

I am now thinking of just banning all AOL users. Has anyone else run
into analogous problems with AOL? If so, are there any other remedies
other than a site ban?

All the best,

Istvan
PHILOSOP Moderator