Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(August 1999)

Subject: Re: Useless NDRs [Was: Nondeliverable mail]
From: Daniel Reed <djr @ narnia . n . ml . org>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 14:01:39 -0400 (EDT)
To: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman @ civicnet . org>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Miles Fidelman wrote:
) On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
) > The real solution to the problem of forwards to bad addresses is to set
) > up your lists to use VERP, short of that you could run occassional probes.
) this is a new one on me - what's VERP?
Check out ftp://koobera.math.uic.edu/www/proto/verp.txt . VERP stands for
Variable Envelope Return Paths, and it's basically just having the recipient
address encoded in the return address. Bounce messages are thus targetted at
that specially-created address which lets your bounce handler determine
whose address bounced without parsing the actual bounce message.

If you're a subscriber of <test@n.ml.org> and I sent a message to that list,
you would get a message with an envelope sender of
<test-return-17-mfidelman=civicnet.org@n.ml.org>, I would get it as
<test-return-17-djr=narnia.n.ml.org@n.ml.org>, etc. (with the 17 refering to
this being message 17, so my bounce handler (test-return) can figure out
which message bounced).

--
Daniel Reed <n@ml.org>
Faith: not wanting to know what is true. -- Friedrich Nietzsche