Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(September 1999)

Subject: Re: Unexplained 554 from hotmail.com.
From: "Bernie Cosell" <bernie @ fantasyfarm . com>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 1999 23:20:06 -0400
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

100000@neumann.ccc.cranfield.ac.u
> k>, you wrote:

> >Do you have a limit on the number of RCPTs in a single transaction?
>
> Doesn't everybody?
>
> >(According to SMTP standards you should accept at least 100).
>
> I may be mistaken, but I believe that number is just a suggestion, and
> nor a requirement.

Well, the spec is a bit tricky to read in this section, but:

> > 4.5.3.  SIZES
> >
> >          There are several objects that have required minimum maximum
> >          sizes.  That is, every implementation must be able to receive
> >          objects of at least these sizes, but must not send objects
> >          larger than these sizes.
> >
> >           ****************************************************
> >           *                                                  *
> >           *  TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT POSSIBLE, IMPLEMENTATION  *
> >           *  TECHNIQUES WHICH IMPOSE NO LIMITS ON THE LENGTH *
> >           *  OF THESE OBJECTS SHOULD BE USED.                *
> >           *                                                  *
> >           ****************************************************
   [...]
> >             recipients buffer
> >
> >                The maximum total number of recipients that must be
> >                buffered is 100 recipients.

That is, 100 recipients is the 'minimum maximum' required by the
protocol, and so if you can't handle 100 recipients you're not compliant.

Moreover, another strange part is that:

> >          Errors due to exceeding these limits may be reported by using
> >          the reply codes, for example:
> >
> >             500 Line too long.
> >
> >             501 Path too long
> >
> >             552 Too many recipients.

*552* is the error you ought to get for too many recipients.  554 isn't
right, so I wonder/suspect that something else is awry at hotmail

  /Bernie\
mailto:bernie@fantasyfarm.com     Pearisburg, VA