Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1999)

Subject: Re: Idiot of the hour
From: Tim Pierce <twp @ rootsweb . com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1999 12:21:55 -0400
To: Steve Bergeon <sbergeon @ encephalon . com>
Cc: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Tue, Oct 12, 1999 at 07:29:49AM -0500, Steve Bergeon wrote:
> Using a telephone as Chuq suggests would require direct human
> intervention to get the dang thing to stop ringing. It would
> seem odd to compare that with automatically answered email systems.
> Or maybe many people have the list management messages sent to
> their pagers?

Many systems send reports of suspicious activity to the
administrators.  I have received up to 10,000 messages overnight when
we're hit really hard by spam.  I have been rousted out of bed to fix it.

> Forcing somebody out of bed at 3am is nothing like sending a
> message (or many) to their computer.

Maybe not yours.

Tim Pierce lead system admonsterator
and Chief Hacking Officer

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Sympa? mailman?