Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1999)

Subject: Re: Idiot of the hour
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 10:25:11 -0700
To: "Chris McEwen" <socrates @ sprintmail . com>, "Steve Bergeon" <sbergeon @ encephalon . com>
Cc: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rogerk @ QueerNet . ORG>, "Chuq Von Rospach" <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>, <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

At 10:15 AM -0700 10/15/99, Chris McEwen wrote:
> Policy implementation is not a foreign concept here in the slightest.

We spend most of this list's time arguing over policy issues.

Think of this list as the United Nations. Because right off the top,
not everyone who runs lists is on this list, so we can't set policy
for them. And even people on this list set their own policy.
List-managers is a place for high-level discussions of issues of
common need, but then everyone goes off and does what they feel is
best.

So when you come to list-managers looking for a policy, you won't
find it. if you went to the United Nations to find out what the
policy was for burglary, you'd be told to go ask the country you plan
to burgle in.

Which, gee, isn't that what we've been basically saying all along?
Each list-manager runs things their own way. There IS no single
policy, no should there be. And before you poke at someone's
list-server, you should ask them about it. Because some list-managers
won't care. Some will act like Singapore and deport you for
littering. And some wll act like North Korea, and you'll be really,
really unhappy.

Why is this so tough? This is the internet. it's a large group of
semi-cooperation operations. Asing for "The policy" is like asking a
beehive while bee is in charge. The asnwer is "yes". And "no".

What was that?
    French horns...