Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1999)

Subject: Re: Local alias problem
From: John R Levine <johnl @ iecc . com>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 19:44:13 -0400 (EDT)
To: Michael Brach <michael . brach @ ruhr-uni-bochum . de>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

> emails (e.g. TO: user@anywhere) are often locally forwarded to alias
> adresses, (e.g. firstname.lastname@anywhere). This causes problems, when
> a user wants to contribute to a private list and the subscribed adress
> is not equal to the sender adress.

I have this problem all the time, particularly with people on big corporate
networks where the incoming address is something like fred.smith@bigcorp.com
and the outgoing address is fsmith@mail14.atlantis.bigcorp.com.

For my Majordomo lists, I make a parallel pseudo-list called <listname>-extra
to which people can subscribe their write-only addresses.  It's not a real
list, mail to <listname>-extra is rejected, it's just added to the list of
files that majordomo uses to validate mail to the real list (just as
subscribers to <listname>-digest can post to listname.)

This is very easy to do with majordomo, and requires no code changes,
just one line in the list config file.

Regards,
Finger for PGP key, f'print = 3A 5B D0 3F D9 A0 6A A4  2D AC 1E 9E A6 36 A3 47