Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1999)

Subject: Re: problems with majordomo
From: "Tom Neff" <tneff @ panix . com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 08:48:38 -0500
To: <List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

"Soporte Tecnico de Qnet" <soporte@qnet.com.pe> wrote:
> I was working with majordomo above weeks, but since I up-grade the
sendmail
> to  8.9.3, when a user send message to the list (for this example
"milista")
> the list's owner/maintainer  receive the message :
> /usr/internet/majordomo/lists/milista: Group writable directory

This line is the key.  Recent Sendmail releases implement strict security
checking by default, inncluding various checks for unsafe file and directory
permissions.  From the Sendmail Release Notes:

    "8.9.0/8.9.0     98/05/19
        SECURITY: To prevent users from reading files not normally
                readable, sendmail will no longer open forward, :include:,
                class, ErrorHeader, or HelpFile files located in unsafe
                (i.e. group or world writable) directory paths.  Sites
                which need the ability to override security can use the
                DontBlameSendmail option.  See the README file for more
                information."

So either fix the directory permissions, or add the DontBlameSendmail option
to sendmail.cf.

If you are not the mail admin for youe system, pass this on to whoever is.

Indexed By Date Previous: problems with majordomo