Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1999)

Subject: Re: AOL
From: Nick Simicich <njs @ scifi . squawk . com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 14:26:19 -0500
To: Adam Bailey <adamb @ lull . org>
Cc: <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

At 10:36 AM 11/15/99 -0600, Adam Bailey wrote:
>On 11/14/99 10:26 PM, Nicole Marie Spring
><spring@legalnurseconsultants.com> wrote...
>
>>I am receiving an increasing number of  complaints from my aol.com
>>subscribers that they are either not receiving email (33%) from my list or
>>receiving only sporadic email. (66%)
>>
>>It has been confirmed that the email IS being delivered to
>>aol.com.
>>
>>Non aol.com subscribers are NOT having this problem.
>>
>>Suggestions??
>
>Check your headers. AOL will drop messages that have faulty DNS or other
>header errors.

In light of what was said, this reply makes little sense.  Why would some
get through and some not get through?  Why would some su bscribers get some
of the mail and others get none of it?

Also, AOL is basically in complete violation of RFCs by not bouncing the
mail to the RFC821 MAIL FROM address.  They can get away with it, because
they are big.

I suspect, for private reasons, that AOL's e-mail system was designed by a
moron studying to be an idiot.

The only way they will fix it is if their subscribers complain.
--
"I've got guns.   I can't hit crap with them." - Howard Stern
Nick Simicich mailto:njs@scifi.squawk.com or (last choice)