Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1999)

Subject: Re: AOL
From: Nick Simicich <njs @ scifi . squawk . com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 22:59:28 -0500
To: Adam Bailey <adamb @ lull . org>
Cc: <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

Hmmm....let's me clear about this.  Is this the guy who came from IBM, who
worked on the VM SMTP system?  I detest him so much that I've put his name
out of my mind.  Sat on this for an hour and it came to me - Matt Korn?
I've also seen him quoted as a "speaker" for AOL.

At 06:41 PM 11/15/99 -0600, Adam Bailey wrote:
>On 11/15/99 1:26 PM, Nick Simicich <njs@scifi.squawk.com> wrote...
>
>>I suspect, for private reasons, that AOL's e-mail system was designed by a
>>moron studying to be an idiot.
>
>I chat occasionally with that very person. He's no moron. A moron would
>be hard-pressed to design a mail system that handles more email than any
>other in existence.

While mishandling a significant percentage of it.  Dropping it on the floor
is one way of "handling" it.  It is not a good way.   Misidentifying mail
as containing attachments when it does not is another fine example of
mishandling.

>The kinds of problems you're talking about are due to management, not
>design. Please be more careful before you levy accusations and insults at
>the people that you don't know.

Management made the decision to design a spam catcher that throws mail
away?  I guess.....Management made the decision to parse mail incorrectly?
I doubt it.

--
Do you have 10 years experience?
Or one month's experience repeated 120 times?