Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1999)

Subject: Re: AOL
From: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg @ monkeys . com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 20:58:02 -0800
To: Adam Bailey <adamb @ lull . org>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

In message <199911160315.VAA06389@mail.xnet.com>, you wrote:

>You're right, I had forgotten about that. Didn't CyberPromo try to sue
>AOL claiming the massive bounces were a Denial of Service attack?

Yes.  Something like that.

(Actually, in that case, CyberPromo may have had a point.  There was some
suggestion at the time that AOL *saved up* all of the bounces from all of
CyberPromo's spam run(s) and then unleashed it all on CyberPromo's ISPs
all at once, thus taking their servers down rather effectively.  Moral of
the story:  Don't even try to fight a bandwidth war with AOL... You'll
lose.)