Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1999)

Subject: Re: AOL Situation Resolved
From: Jeffrey Goldberg <J . Goldberg @ Cranfield . ac . uk>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 16:03:17 +0000 (GMT)
To: Nicole Marie Spring <spring @ legalnurseconsultants . com>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Nicole Marie Spring wrote:

> However, I am willing to forward messages to that email
> address on anyone's behalf.

Please forward this on:

Any site that engages in throttling is likely to have some false
positives with legitimate email (discussion/announcements) lists.

As such, it would be useful if AOL and others

  (1) provide a contact address for use by list managers, so
      that we can get in touch with you when there is trouble.

  (2) Set up a vetting proceedure for either individual lists or
      hosts or subnets for lists with certain characteristics.

      The vetting proceedure should require a fair amount of information
      from the list manager (or the mailing list system manager,
      some of which you decide on occasion to actually verify.

      The vetting proceedure may request the aol.com addresses on the
      list in question (it's not violating any privacy information since
      you have that information from logs anyway).

      It may also include requiring a real address of an individual or
      individuals responsible for the mailing list system.  Subscription
      policy (does subscription to lists require confirmation, etc)

      Once a list/host/subnet is "vetted" then allow bulk mail from
      those lists/hosts/subnets as long as it meets other criteria.

      Occasional updating/checking of relevant information.

Unless this sort of thing is solved, I, and other list managers, will
simply have to advise aol.com members of our lists that some of their
mail is not getting though and why.  I don't think that that will make
AoL customers happy.

-j
--
Jeffrey Goldberg                +44 (0)1234 750 111 x 2826
 Cranfield Computer Centre      FAX         751 814