Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1999)

Subject: Juno bounces (was Re: AOL Situation Resolved)
From: SRE <eckert @ climber . org>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 10:43:35 -0800
To: Jeffrey Goldberg <J . Goldberg @ Cranfield . ac . uk>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 04:03 PM 11/18/99 +0000, Jeffrey Goldberg wrote:
>Unless this sort of thing is solved, I, and other list managers, will
>simply have to advise aol.com members of our lists that some of their
>mail is not getting though and why.  I don't think that that will make
>AoL customers happy.

I had a similar situation last month with Juno.com, who suddenly
stopped delivering mail to juno addresses if the Reply-To header
was NOT the same as the From header. Duh. That's how email lists
direct replies to the list instead of to the poster. The bounce
message went to the list owner clearly stating the problem, but
it was a legal header!

Anyway, Juno had one of my subscribers on hold via a PAID 900
support number for about an hour. Many of them complained to
Juno about the change in policy (with no advance notice). Juno
never responded, but things started working this week. Along
the way, some magic phone numbers came up to reach Juno
without paying for the call:
>>>They probably wouldn't appreciate the publicity, but here are some
>>>telephone numbers if somebody else wants to give it a try:
>>>888-839-5866
>>>888-860-5866
>>>800 JUNO 888 - I'm not sure about this one because I can't read my 2 am
>>>in the morning note...

It's more worthwhile to have subscribers contact their own provider
than to approach the provider as a list manager, IMHO.

SRE

mailto:eckert@climber.org | http://www.climber.org/eckert/
Info on peak climbing email lists mailto:info@climber.org

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not
 bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man."
   -- Mark Twain