Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1999)

Subject: Re: AOL Situation Resolved
From: Jeremy Blackman <loki @ maison-otaku . net>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 17:12:30 -0800 (PST)
To: Bernie Cosell <bernie @ fantasyfarm . com>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Bernie Cosell wrote:

> The only possible hope for something like this is some sort of trusted
> global registry: if enough ISPs banded together coercively, they might be
> able to convince list admins to fill in some standard form *once*, and
> then any ISP that cares would be able to consult the DB and not bother
> the list-admin.

See my earlier post to the list (which hasn't come across into my
mailbox yet).

> every ISP to agree...  piece of cake... :o)  Of course, you'd also have
> to find a way to prevent a spammer from 'registering' [amidst the at-
> least hundreds-of-thousands of lists in the master registry]

Well, more likely you'd have a way to lodge complaints against a
registered address, and once a complaint was determined to be valid, the
registration could be either revoked, or marked as 'blacklisted' - the
latter might almost be better, because then you could have an MTA that was
compliant with this registry able to add some sort of pattern to its local
UCE/blacklist/whatever, upon getting a blacklisted response.

Jeremy Blackman - / /
Lithtech Team, Monolith Productions      --
Listar Developer                         --

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: AOL Situation Resolved