Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1999)

Subject: Re: Stupid low tech idea
From: Istvan Berkeley <istvan @ usl . edu>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 13:52:02 -0600
To: SRE <eckert @ climber . org>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Hi again,
Actually, I have never used an autodialler. I call collect until I get
bored of doing it. Usually, my main strategy is to contact the ISP. They
are usually very helpful.

I should mention though that sometimes the strategy can be a bit
stronger than intended. On one occasion, an ISP in the NW deleted an
entire company's e-mail accounts and web pages, due to one employee's
spamming activity. I bet that didn't do much for the persons employment
prospects. I felt slightly bad for the other employees though.

The goal here though is simple -- make the cost of spamming very high.

All the best,

Istvan
--
Istvan S. N. Berkeley, Ph.D.