Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1999)

Subject: Re: Listserver registry? (was Re: AOL Situation Resolved)
From: Tim Pierce <twp @ rootsweb . com>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 23:01:48 -0500
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Fri, Nov 19, 1999 at 04:37:20PM -0800, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

> In message <19991119152407.B11373@ma-1.rootsweb.com>,
> Tim Pierce <twp@rootsweb.com> wrote:
>
> >I should think that the idea could be 80% achieved just by making
> >the spam filters default to ignoring mail that was clearly generated
> >by a well-known MLM (majordomo, LISTSERV or whatever).
>
> I've seen spammers that use majordomo to spam.
>
> I think if AOL made the change you suggest, we'd all start seeing many
> more of them.

I doubt it.  Most of the spam we get is still generated by spamware
with recognizable fingerprints (the bogus "Authenticated sender"
headers) and easily dropped.  The fact that large numbers of people
in the world filter mail on those headers hasn't dissuaded spammers.

Obviously if you start getting mail from
`owner-dirty-rotten-spammer@majordomo.spamhaus.nu', then you drop it
on the floor even though it's coming from a legit MLM.  But when
you get mail from `owner-' or `-request' addresses that don't match
any positive spam fingerprints, it's probably safe to assume that
it's a regular mailing list.

--
Regards,
Tim Pierce