Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1999)

Subject: Re: AOL
From: Nick Simicich <njs @ scifi . squawk . com>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 08:43:25 -0500
To: garyb @ fxt . com
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 08:37 AM 11/17/99 -0800, garyb@fxt.com wrote:
>> But, given all that: is there anyone else who is selling ISP
>> access who is, by policy, randomly throwing mailing list mail
>> on the ground without returning it?
>
>Yes, most of them.

I put to you that this was not random.  Your policy was to drop anything
sent to your domain that was incorrectly addressed on the floor, 100% of
the time and to deliver correctly addressed mail 100% of the time.

Your policy was not to randomly delete mail sent to correct addresses.  Not
the same thing.

It does seem odd to me that you were even seeing the mail sent to these
incorrect adddresses.  Gosh, most mail systems tend to just bounce that
mail without human intervention.  What mail system were you using?  Some
hack that funnelled all mail to some domain to a particular mailbox?

>  For another example - For one of my own
>domains, I got tired of handling mail to incorrect addresses and
>SPAMs (the domain is one typo away from two other domains), and had
>my hosting provider change the mail handler to silently drop
>anything not to a known address on the floor.  The heck widem!  If
>it's important, it'll get resent.  My staff and I were spending an
>hour a day correcting addresses and forwarding mail to people at
>other domains, and they weren't doing the same thing for me - they
>were dropping it on the floor (I tested).  Yes this is not nice,
>counter to the rules, and rude.  No, I'm not alone.

That which does not kill us, makes us stronger.
That which does kill us makes us smell stronger, after a few days, anyway.
Nick Simicich mailto:njs@scifi.squawk.com or (last choice)
mailto:njs@us.ibm.com
http://scifi.squawk.com/njs.html -- Stop by and Light Up The World!

Follow-Ups: