Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1999)

Subject: Re: funneling vanity domains
From: "Tom Neff" <tneff @ panix . com>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 09:59:56 -0500
To: <List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

Jeremy Blackman <loki@maison-otaku.net> wrote:
> A 'hack' it may be, but a very common one for many hosted domains on ISPs.
> E.g. maybe I get 'mydomain.com' hosted on my ISP, and they direct all mail
> for 'mydomain.com' to my e-mail box.  It's not even that much of a hack;
> most mail servers allow it as a standard feature, e.g. something like a
> line in sendmail's mailertable reading:
>
> mydomain.com			local:user
>
> To redirect all mydomain.com mail to 'user@<isp>'.
>
> This makes it difficult to bounce mail since, technically, there -are- no
> nonexistant addresses.

And it's really the policy that makes most sense if you spent the money to
set up "tinyhandpaintedcatstatues.com" - what the heck do you care if people
want to send mail to info@ or catstatues@ or heyyou@, it's all potential
business.

What you don't usually see is this kind of "custom domain" also featuring
real ISP-type user accounts that come and go, are opened and closed, and
need to bounce or not bounce.  Those tend to have a real user DB of some
kind, or at least a "hard" alias file.

> It's also a royal pain when people ask about
> setting up listservers under a configuration like this, since it involves
> teaching them Procmail, usually. :)

Or Maildrop, which I'm learning to like:

	http://www.flounder.net/~mrsam/maildrop/

But recent releases of Sendmail seem to allow you to mix individual and
domain aliases, with the domain alias acting as a fallthrough if none of the
specific aliases match.  So you can take a LISTSERV/Majordomo address block
and use it with (at most) minor modifications.

Or you can use a subsidiary alias file for each custom domain:

	catstatues.com: "|/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i -O
AliasFile=/etc/catstatues.aliases"

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Listserver registry?