Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1999)

Subject: Re: What is list-managers? (was Re: AOL dropping mail
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 10:42:01 -0800
To: Nick Simicich <njs @ scifi . squawk . com>, Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: <List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

At 10:34 AM -0500 11/22/99, Nick Simicich wrote:

> In other words, your attack on me is simply as wrong as your perception of
> AOL.

As everything that doesn't meet your standards seems to be wrong, Nick.

If Ronald is the list troll, you're the list Eeyore.

> Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out, Chuq.

Oh, I won't.

> But you are mistaking attacks on you for
> attacks on your ideas.  When you can no longer tell the difference, it *is*
> time for you to leave the list

it sure is. But the same is true when you no longer can tell whether
you're attacking the idea or the person, or simply lashing out at
anything you see. That goes both ways, Nick. I'm not burned out.

> But it is odd that you stay here to help people, while your perception of
> the list does not include helping people.

I do a lot of helping. Mostly privately. But bluntly, it's hard to
stay motivated when every time yo open your yap, you seem to end up
in the latest iteration of the same fights you've had time and time
again.

> Chuq, if you want this sort of list, make sure only to invite people who
> agree with you.

Funny, there are only two people on this list I feel would be
destructive to such a list, and which are the crux of why I'm
considering leaving. And just as funny, there are lots more people on
this lsit than two that disagree with me....

you can believe what you want, Nick, but "only invite the guys you
agree with" is a stupid argument, and IMHO, juvenile and provably
false. I don't require people agree with me. I leave that for Ronald
and you. I simply wish that people give me the ability to disagree
and hold my own views. the only thing I'm intolerant of is
intolerance.

> The other point is that you run really large mailing lists,

No, I run lists of all sizes, from about 12 up.

> and are
> interested in large mailing list architecture.

No, again. That's ONE of the things I'm interested in. But I've also
been researching where to go with the servers I run for small-medium
systems as well.

> weight than what MJ2 looks to be coming up as, and the more I look at it,
> the more a lightweight non-transactional free SQL engine like MySQL looks

take a look at sympa. I think it's close to what you're looking for,
and technically, looks pretty encouraging. I hope to run it through
it's paces in january, once I get all my servers upgraded.

> interested in really large mailing list architecture.  Maybe this is not
> the right mailing list for you anymore.  That is only a decision you can
> make.

No, it probably isn't, but not for the reasons you mention or imply.
but the question is, should the list be changed? or should I take
off? That's not up to me, it's up to the list at large.

I don't pretend the list ought to be what I demand it to be -- but
neither should you presume to believe that it shouldn't be changed (I
specifically am avoiding using the term fixed, but it's tempting).

Pokemon is a game where children go into the woods and capture furry
little creatures and then bring them home and teach them to pit fight.