Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1999)

Subject: Re: qmail/ezmlm vs. BigMailBox
From: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ Mcs . Net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1999 18:11:40 -0600 (CST)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Nick Simicich wrote to the list, to Roger Fajman, and to me:

| In any case, you might consider using the web to finesse the broken e-mail
| system.

Whom do you mean by "you," Nick?  None of us here run the list hosts in
question, so none of us here can change them.  I do find it silly that
ONElist, for example, gives a web URL in confirmation requests for
subscriptions, preencoded with the confirmation cookie, as well as a reply
address, but not in confirmation requests for removals.  After all, if these
people get their email on webmail services, they must have HTTP access. But
the people who can do that are those who program the list host: not Roger,
not me, not anyone here.

| Alternatively, consider providing an instructional page that explains how
| the end user caught in this pickle can telnet to port 25 of the system that
| MX's for the target and manually put in the e-mail to this weird address
| from themselves. :-)

Interesting idea but impossible to explain to most people in that particular
briny cucumber.  Clicking on a URL sent to them in email is just about their
speed.  Asking them to send an answer to email anywhere besides the supplied
reply address is way above their heads.

BigMailBox's web site gave a phone number for sales; I called there and they
transfered me to Jason in tech support, who transfered me to Chris in pro-
gramming, to whom I explained that forbidding equal signs causes a problem;
Chris said he'd refer it to his superiors.

The people there were very nice and listened politely, but who knows whether
they'll just forget that I called now that we've hung up?  If they do make
any changes, they'll show up on gohip.com right away, so I'll check what hap-
pens on gohip.com from time to time.  BTW, Chris did acknowledge that their
mailer-daemon couldn't write to an address with an equal sign either, so if
a BMB system closes or renames an account, or if a mail quota fills up, and
the account is on a mailing list running under ezmlm or a derivative, the BMB
system cannot return an NDN.