Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 1999)

Subject: mailman vs. majordomo2 vs. sympa
From: Miles Fidelman <mfidelman @ civicnet . org>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1999 13:11:38 -0500 (EST)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Hi Folks,

I'm thinking of upgrading my current list software - from majordomo to one
of majordomo2, mailman, or sympa.

Each of them seems to have some serious features above-and-beyond
majordomo1, but I get the sense that each has its problems as well - I see
lots of bugs go by on the mailman users list, and it seems like
development is moving slowly on all three.

Can anybody offer some opinions as to the reliability, maturity, and
longer-term viability of each.  Are there any other packages I should be
looking at?

Thanks!

Miles Fidelman

The Center for Civic Networking 	    PO Box 600618
Miles R. Fidelman, President &		    Newtonville, MA 02460-0006
Director, Municipal Telecommunications
Strategies Program			    617-558-3698 fax: 617-630-8946
mfidelman@civicnet.org	 		    http://civic.net/ccn.html

Information Infrastructure: Public Spaces for the 21st Century
Let's Start With: Internet Wall-Plugs Everywhere
Say It Often, Say It Loud: "I Want My Internet!"