Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1999)

Subject: Re: Looking for a new list server
From: "Andrew P. Tasi" <zion @ sihope . com>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1999 08:48:18 -0600
To: "Becky" <becky @ magor . prestel . co . uk>, "John Stevenson" <johnstev @ comcen . com . au>
Cc: <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

Hello Becky, John, and List gurus,

I'm in the exact same boat, so if anybody has any recommendations, I'd very
much appreciate a public response.

My list was moved within one day and I'm *pissed*.  The ironic part is that
I have a nice, live server running Redhat 6.1 that I could be running my
list on (majordomo is already installed), but I kept my list at Esosoft.
Why?
-Convenience - it was worth it to me to pay $5 a month and not have to worry
about OS or SMTP issues, and to get their silly reports.
-Clueless - Although I'm very secure with actual MD administration (figured
out niceties like how to filter HTML and certain addresses), I have *no*
experience with Linux or Unix, other than setting up a workstation via FTP 2
weeks ago.  I am unfortunately a windows child (and not liking it anymore).

So either I move to another ASP or I become competent with Linux quickly.
Anybody want to recommend a book or three?

Thank you,
Andrew P. Tasi