Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 2000)

Subject: Re: can anybody share experiences w/ EZMLM?
From: Dave Sill <de5-list-managers @ sws5 . ctd . ornl . gov>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 13:13:08 -0500 (EST)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@civicnet.org> wrote:

>Has anybody gone through a transition from majordomo/sendmail to
>ezmlm/qmail?  Can you comment on how hard it was, things to watch out for,
>whether it was worth it?

ezmlm (with the ezmlm-idx add-on) makes Majordomo look like a bad
hack. Likewise for qmail vs. sendmail.

I've used majordomo+sendmail, majordomo+qmail, and ezmlm+qmail. I
think ezmlm+qmail is the best in terms of performance, reliability,
and manageability, and it's well worth the effort to switch.

I recommend installing ezmlm+qmail on your existing list server (just
don't install qmail-smtpd (on port 25) or qmail's "sendmail"). That'll
allow you to play with qmail and ezmlm without interfering with your
majordomo+sendmail setup.

Once you've migrated the lists to ezmlm, you can turn off sendmail and
install qmail-smtpd.

Painless and low risk.

See:

  http://Web.InfoAve.Net/~dsill/lwq.html