Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 2000)

From: Tim Pierce <twp @ rootsweb . com>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 17:56:30 -0500
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Fri, Jan 07, 2000 at 11:32:10AM -0800, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:

> But -- that fails any number of sniff tests. It's a step up from no
> protection at all, but anyone motivatged enough to target the
> archives specifically won't get slowed down significantly. It's a
> false security.

I don't think there are any good solutions to that problem.  In
order to make the archives accessible to casual use by human beings,
it has to be fairly easy to authenticate yourself.  In order to
make it sufficiently easy for the clueless to authenticate, the
authentication instructions need to be fairly prominent, enough
that it would not deter someone specifically interested in harvesting
your archives.

Here we make the authentication pretty easy.  The list archives
are behind a password-protected server.  Anyone can create their
own account and password -- it's trivial.  I have never been able
to find evidence of someone targeting our archive directly for
e-mail addresses and just don't worry about it.

--
Regards,
Tim Pierce