Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 2000)

Subject: Re: EGROUPS.COM Blacklisted
From: "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rogerk @ QueerNet . ORG>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2000 21:41:02 -0800 (PST)
To: "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg @ monkeys . com>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM, abuse @ egroups . com

On Fri, 7 Jan 2000, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
> In message <Pine.BSI.4.10.10001071532060.21637-100000@queernet.queernet.org>,
> "Roger B.A. Klorese" <rogerk@QueerNet.ORG> wrote:
> >But, in fact, just about every package of this sort, whether an
> >off-the-shelf package or a list host,  DOES allow individual
> >list owners to add users without confirmation if they so choose.
>
> I do not know that to be the case.

Including my hedge of "just about," I do know this to be the case, as I've
researched it lately.

> But that is beside the point anyway.  Are you claiming that it is a Good
> Thing, that anonymous goofballs can go and get outfits like eGroups to do
> their spamming for them, or are you only claiming that this is a common
> situation?

Common, of course.

> >Don't generalize without data.
>
> Funny.  I was just about to say that same to you.

See below.

> *I'm* not the one who is making statements of the form ``... just about
> every package of this sort...''
>
> Where is your data to backup that generalization?  Have you surveyed all
> such packages?

About 20 of them, at last count, free and commercial.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE     rogerk@QueerNet.ORG     urgent: rogerk-page@QueerNet.ORG
PO Box 14309		  San Francisco, CA 94114 	        +1 415 ALL-ARFF