Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 2000)

Subject: Oversized emails?
From: Cyndi Norman <cnorman @ best . com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 10:52:09 -0800 (PST)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM
Cc: cnorman @ best . com

I'm in need of a reality check and figured you guys would be the perfect
people for it.

I belong to a barter network.  I also used to do some internet/web
consulting for them but they don't listen to me (took me and another web
person working with them about a dozen emails to convince them not to use a
third "internet person" who was about to spam the universe with their ads,
but that's another story).

They've recently been bought out by a national company and the
obnoxiousness factor has gone up several notches.  Yesterday I recieved
their usual weekly newsletter (in HTML since they laugh at me when I tell
them text is the better default).  It included an 800k attachment, a
picture of leather furniture one of their members sells.  Of course it
translated to over 11 thousand lines of junk on my system.  And the rest of
the message was mostly unreadble (as always) cause of really bad HTML.

I complained.  I was not very nice about it.  I was pissed.

Their reaction was to PHONE me twice at like 7:30 in the morning (my
machine got it) and say that they'd be happy to cancel my membership and
they can't believe a web design person would not be able to recieve
attachments that were under a meg (said as if that were small) and I should
upgrade my email.

Obviously, my email arrangements are not the issue.  I can view attachments
if I want to by forwarding them to another account.  They tell me I'm the
only one who complains and don't seem to get that by suggesting changes
(which I have always done very nicely and politely in the past) I am giving
them free help on how to improve things for all their customers.  Their
view is that the attachment "sells lots of leather furniture" so it's okay.

So...

Given that they are running a mailing list (announcement only) for their
customers, is my assessment of their choices off the mark?  Do note that
they send this newsletter to all of their customers for whom they have an
email address (and now their fees are lower if you give them an email
address) and don't ask permission first, let alone about preferences for
HTML or attachments.  They also fax a version out but I finally got removed
from that list since they were calling at 2 in the morning when my
fax-modem/computer was off.

Anyway, validation would be nice.

Thanks,
Cyndi

"There's nothing wrong with me.  Maybe there's                     Cyndi Norman
something wrong with the universe." (ST:TNG)           cyndi@consultclarity.com
                                                         http://www.tikvah.com/
_________________ Owner of the Immune Website & Lists http://www.immuneweb.org/

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: MLM, your opinion ?