Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 2000)

Subject: Re: Oversized emails?
From: SRE <eckert @ climber . org>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 13:59:12 -0800
To: cnorman @ best . com
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 10:52 AM 2/8/00 -0800, Cyndi Norman wrote:
>them text is the better default).  It included an 800k attachment, a
>picture of leather furniture one of their members sells.  Of course it
>translated to over 11 thousand lines of junk on my system.  And the rest of
>the message was mostly unreadble (as always) cause of really bad HTML.

Demime home page: http://scifi.squawk.com/demime.html
Demime perl script: http://scifi.squawk.com/demime.stable
Demime config file: http://scifi.squawk.com/demime_junkmail.cf

Put it in a pipe for the posting alias, and all HTML gets
turned into plain text. Non-text attachments are deleted
and a note is left where they were. Freebie account footers
can be stripped if you set that up. It's boinked a couple
of viruses on my server, and it's helped some MSOutlook
users communicate with the server (I put it in the server
command alias also, so the server doesn't get formatted text.)

Stripping is a much better solution than bouncing. It took
me a few years to reach that conclusion...

SRE

mailto:eckert@climber.org | http://www.climber.org/eckert/
Info on peak climbing email lists mailto:info@climber.org

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie!'...
until you can find a rock.