Subject: Use of a database with list server software
From: Alistair Formby <aformby @ openworld . co . uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 15:41:18 +0000
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Dear list,

I have been looking for a solution to my problem for quite a while now and I haven't come up with an adequate one.  I have looked at several large and expensive solutions like ListServ  and other smaller players like majordomo to handle the job for me.

So far I have come to the conclusion that majordomo may be my best bet as I currently use majordomo and am familiar with Perl.  I also like the idea of using PHP to dynamically drive the front end.

Does anyone know of a feasible alternative my problem?

Alistair Formby, aformby@openworld.co.uk

P.S.
I have noticed the recent spate of conversations about 'VERP versus batched delivery'.  I find that there are so many subscribers that try to unsubscribe from e-mail accounts that have been 'forwarded to' from another account.  It makes the unsubscription process that much easier when sending mails out one by one, due to the fact that when sending batch deliveries I cannot make the 'To' header the subscribers e-mail address.  I typically see a 50% increase in bandswidth usage when sending using VERP (not too sure what the acronym VERP stands for though).

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: virtual domains