Subject: Re: DSNs are complex
From: Tim Pierce <twp @ rootsweb . com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:26:49 -0500
To: Russ Allbery <rra @ stanford . edu>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 02:59:47PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:
> It requires both full-blown MIME parsing and full-blown header parsing
> (which is probably reasonable these days, but certainly has slowed its
> adoption -- MIME parsing has only in the past year or two really become
> something I would want to rely on).

I was a little shocked to find that no one seems to have yet written
a general-purpose MIME parsing library in C.  Having one would
probably encourage more MIME awareness in other tools.

In the absence of anything else, I wrote a program to parse enough
MIME to extract the text/plain portion from multipart/mixed bodies,
but it would definitely be useful to expand this to an all-singing-
all-dancing MIME manipulation tool.  I just can't figure out what
the API should look like.  (Maybe that's why no one else has done it.)

Tim Pierce lead system admonsterator
and Chief Hacking Officer

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Use of a database with list server software