Subject: Re: DSNs are complex
From: Tim Pierce <twp @ rootsweb . com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 04:26:49 -0500
To: Russ Allbery <rra @ stanford . edu>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 02:59:47PM -0800, Russ Allbery wrote:

> It requires both full-blown MIME parsing and full-blown header parsing
> (which is probably reasonable these days, but certainly has slowed its
> adoption -- MIME parsing has only in the past year or two really become
> something I would want to rely on).

I was a little shocked to find that no one seems to have yet written
a general-purpose MIME parsing library in C.  Having one would
probably encourage more MIME awareness in other tools.

In the absence of anything else, I wrote a program to parse enough
MIME to extract the text/plain portion from multipart/mixed bodies,
but it would definitely be useful to expand this to an all-singing-
all-dancing MIME manipulation tool.  I just can't figure out what
the API should look like.  (Maybe that's why no one else has done it.)

--
Regards,
Tim Pierce