Subject: Re: mass s*bscr*be attempt
From: Mitch Collinsworth <mkc @ Graphics . Cornell . EDU>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 16:41:21 -0500
To: "Joe Ferguson" <thatjoeg @ xmission . com>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

>Pardon my ignorance - but what would this do?  What was his intended result?
>
>> Early this morning I received a couple of (possibly forged, possibly not)
>> mass s*bscr*be attempts from "Spam Man" <webmaster@indiatimes.com>.

Well the possibilities that occur to me, none of which are new:

- It may have been forged by someone else, as an attempt to mail-bomb
the real owner of this address with the content of hundreds of lists.

- It could be a spammer collecting e-mail addresses.

- It could be another one of those "helpful" web sites that collects
your list content and makes it available on their web site.

There are probably more that I haven't thought of.  In any case it's
pretty unlikely to be someone honestly interested in reading about a
long list of carefully alphabetized but unrelated subjects...

-Mitch

Indexed By Date Previous: mass s*bscr*be attempt