Subject: Re: Mail Lists on RemarQ
From: Eric Leach <eleach @ remarq . com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 08:09:23 -0800
To: David Shaw <dshaw @ jabberwocky . com>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

David Shaw wrote:
*You may be restricting people on what they can read, but in what way
is this not archiving?  How long do you keep files containing list
messages on disk?*

Text messages generally expire within 60 to 90 days, depending on the volume of
the group. This is true for either usenet newsgroups or mail lists on our site.
Binary messages will expire in about 7 days. When you subscribe to the group, you
see messages as soon as the subscription is approved by the list, but if you wait
six months to read any messages, you may only see things from the last 90 days or
so. So we do not archive in the sense that we don't save messages indefinitely
for later retrieval.

Eric

David Shaw wrote:

> C) RemarQ does not archive mail lists. Once a user is successfully subscribed,
they are able to read discussions from the date of their subscription approval.
If the user is unsubscribed from the list they are not allowed to see any
messages in the list from that point forward.

> Okay, say I subscribe to a list, and then don't read for a month.  If
> I read then, do I get the past month?  How about if I read two months
> later?  A year?
>
> You may be restricting people on what they can read, but in what way
> is this not archiving?  How long do you keep files containing list
> messages on disk?
>
> David
>
> --
>    David Shaw  |  dshaw@jabberwocky.com  |  WWW http://www.jabberwocky.com/
> +---------------------------------------------------------------------------+
>    "There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and UNIX.
>       We don't believe this to be a coincidence." - Jeremy S. Anderson
begin:vcard
n:Leach;Eric
tel;work:408-817-1921
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:http://www.remarq.com
org:RemarQ Communities, Inc.;Marketing
version:2.1
email;internet:eleach@remarq.com
adr;quoted-printable:;;55 South Market Street, Suite 1080=0D=0A;San Jose;California;95113;USA
fn:Eric Leach
end:vcard

From: David Shaw <dshaw@jabberwocky.com>
Next: Re: Mail Lists on RemarQ
From: "Alan S. Harrell" <poptexas@operamail.com>
Indexed By Thread Previous: Re: Mail Lists on RemarQ
From: David Shaw <dshaw@jabberwocky.com>
Next: Re: Mail Lists on RemarQ
From: "Alan S. Harrell" <poptexas@operamail.com>