Subject: Re: Mail Lists on RemarQ
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 14:19:13 -0800
To: Michelle Dick <artemis @ rahul . net>, list-managers-digest @ GreatCircle . COM

>Is it respectful of list owners for you to take that same web content,
>repackage it so that my advertising does not appear, and instead
>replace that advertising with your own?  Robbing my list of revenue?

I'd also love to know what anti-spammer/anti-harvesting protections
you make for the e-mail addresses you publish. Unlike Michelle, I
don't banner advertise my archives, since I'm not worried about
revenue. but I categorically refuse ALL attempts to archive my lists,
because anyone who archives my lists where they're not under control
puts that information onto the web in a way I can't police.

I don't want my lists archived by anyone, period. Especially without
my permission, and I have sent out a couple of cease and desists over
the last year or so. And it's because I'm responsible for protecting
my users from the spam harvesters out there, and I've yet to be
convinced anyone actually protects their data to my satisfaction
(heck *I* don't protect my data to my satisfaction yet, but I'm
working on it)

I get especially honked off when I offer my users a given level of
service and expectations about access and privacy, and the find out
someone else has just gone off and borrowed my content and stuffed it
onto the net for me. Without asking.

And, of course, if I ever do decide to do banner ads or some other
kind of subscription/revenue thing, I wouldn't be happy to find that
my content is in competition with myself from some other site without
my permission.

And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar
and say 'Man, what are you doing here?'"