Subject: Re: case sensitivity?
From: bwarsaw @ python . org (Barry Warsaw)
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 02:21:53 -0500 (EST)
To: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Cc: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

    CVR> Gotta quick philosophical question here, attached to
    CVR> practical reality.

    CVR> The email RFC makes it clear that the username should be
    CVR> considered case sensitive, while the domain part is case
    CVR> insensitive

    CVR> But this leads to a bit of a conundrum for me. To simplify
    CVR> reality, I coerce all email addresses to lower case -- this
    CVR> is especially useful for aol.com, where many users wouldn't
    CVR> be consistent on capitalization if their life depended on
    CVR> it. But technically speaking, that makes me non-compliant to
    CVR> the RFC, if I were to ever run into a mail system that IS
    CVR> case sensitive on the user name.

    CVR> Does anyone know of any systems that actually enforce case
    CVR> sensitivity on a user name?

Very good question, and one we addressed a while ago in Mailman.
Here's what we do:

For list membership purposes, email addresses are case insensitive.
Thus, Fred@Aol.com, fred@aol.com, fred@Aol.com, etc. are all
considereted the same subscription.  However, Mailman is case
preserving of the email address, and it uses the case-preserved form
of the address for all outgoing mail.  Thus if Fred@Aol.com was the
address that was subscribed, that's the one that will get the list
postings.

This way we are RFC compliant where it matters, while maintaining a
subscription policy for Mailman that, while arbitrary, certainly helps
maintain list manager sanity.

I've seen no complaints about this policy since it was implemented in
Mailman before the 1.0 release.

-Barry

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: MLM, your opinion ?