Subject: Re: spam.
From: murr rhame <murr @ vnet . net>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 22:43:39 -0400 (EDT)
To: Bernie Cosell <bernie @ fantasyfarm . com>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Mon, 3 Jul 2000, Bernie Cosell wrote:

> On 3 Jul 2000, at 15:15, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
>
> > I figured folks on this list would appreciate this.
> >
> > We were spammed today. Laurie wandered out onto the porch this
> > morning to find a flyer on the front porch, for a "power management"
> > seminar. They leafletted the entire neighborhood....
> > ...What caught me was how typical
> > the subject matter was to the kind of on-line spam we yell at all the
> > time...
>
> Indeed, although an important difference to keep in mind is
> that that kind of spam dealt with in seconds with a keystroke
> or two [or even automatically in most cases], whereas the
> hardcopy stuff we've learned to just live with has to be
> handled, sorted, and carted to the dump [no recycling for
> that sort of stuff in this area] and actually wastes
> *real*time*...

Hardcopy spam is self limiting.  If I want to spam you with a
hardcopy ad, it'll cost about fifty-cents to deliver the first
page and a nickel a piece for addition pages.  If I want to send
you a half dozen copies of a ten page email spam, I can do it at
your expense with the aid of an open relay in Sweden or Korea.
There is no comparison.  Most Internet spammers steal services.
Most hardcopy spam costs enough to keep it to a minimum.

- murr -