Subject: Re: spam.
From: Tim Pierce <twp @ rootsweb . com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 02:43:54 -0400
To: Bernie Cosell <bernie @ fantasyfarm . com>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Mon, Jul 03, 2000 at 08:10:02PM -0400, Bernie Cosell wrote:
> On 3 Jul 2000, at 15:15, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
>
> > We were spammed today. Laurie wandered out onto the porch this
> > morning to find a flyer on the front porch, for a "power management"
> > seminar. They leafletted the entire neighborhood....
>
> Indeed, although an important difference to keep in mind is that that
> kind of spam dealt with in seconds with a keystroke or two [or even
> automatically in most cases], whereas the hardcopy stuff we've learned to
> just live with has to be handled, sorted, and carted to the dump [no
> recycling for that sort of stuff in this area] and actually wastes
> *real*time*...

For what it's worth, electronic spam does in fact consume real time
for me, far more than the trivial couple of minutes a month that
sorting the junk mail does.  The "save-a-tree, send-a-spam" shtick
is a Sanford Wallace myth.  It's not cheap, it's not easy, and it's
not trivial.

The stories I've heard from other sysadmins indicate that I am not
alone.  Pumping a high volume of spam (thousands of messages a
minute) through a single server is nearly always going to cause
someone grief.

[I know that the dead horse is now only a distant memory of those
who once beat it, but sometimes I just can't help myself.]

--
Regards,
Tim Pierce

Follow-Ups: