Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(August 2000)

Subject: Re: comments?
From: Russ Allbery <rra @ stanford . edu>
Date: 24 Aug 2000 17:58:48 -0700
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Jim Trigg / Blaise de Cormeilles <blaise@scadian.net> writes:

> That's true, but what mailing lists can do that newsgroups cannot is
> restrict access/posting permission on a *list by list* basis.  AFAIK,
> all available news server software is on an all-or-nothing basis.

INN hasn't been all-or-nothing for eons, certainly since I've been running
news.  You've pretty much always had the ability to bang out wildmat
patterns in nnrp.access for groups those people shouldn't have access to.

INN 2.3.0, the current version, has a completely new authentication and
authorization front-end that gives you all the flexibility you need to do
basically anything you want, up to and including an embedded Perl
interpretor so that if you want you can write your own custom
authorization functions that return precisely what newsgroups a given
client is permitted to access and under the hood can generate that list
via any means you wish.

Someone's already hooked this up to LDAP, although the code hasn't been
rolled into the main distribution.

The power is all there; what's not there is the polish.  This is
unfortunately true of INN in general, and is something that various people
are working on fixing, if slowly.