Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 2000)

Subject: Re: X Loop trapping
From: SRE <eckert @ climber . org>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2000 05:43:43 -0700
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM, majordomo-workers @ GreatCircle . COM, mj2-dev @ csf . colorado . edu

problem: Many list servers add some sort of loop trapping header,
but at least one service provider adds identical headers to every
email originated by any user in their domain... so those users
appear to be bounces when they send posts or requests.

('*' replaces '-' below, to avoid traps on THIS list)

At 08:40 PM 10/17/00, A. Subscriber wrote:
 >Never mind about the MS Outlook question...it appears that my mail server is
 >adding the X*Loop header...I tried sending using other mail programs and saw
 >the same header.

So here's a guy for which EVERY message contains the header
X*Loop*Detect: 1

At 08:40 PM 10/17/00, A. Subscriber wrote:
 >I have no control over this...is there any way for me to work around this
 >and get a response from the list server?

I can disable Mj2's loop trapping stuff, but that opens up other
problems and so far no one else I'm aware of is adding X*Loop.
I add X*Loop headers to outgoing messages, and trap them in posts,
to keep loops from hitting the list subscribers.

I'm not sure what other packages do, so I'm consulting the oracle to
see what you all suggest. Are you using X*Loop as an error trap? Do you
have subscribers who send human-originated email with X*Loop headers?

Opinions and experiences requested!

Below is the response from this subscriber's tech support person:

>Thank you for contacting technical support. I apologize for all the
>inconvenience this issue may have caused you. Our mail system puts this
>comment, X*Loop*Detect: 1, in the subject line to track looping mail
>
>According to RFCs, you can put a user-defined field that starts with X-
>and we use this to track looping mail through our mail servers. If any mail
>server isnt accepting mail because of this, please contact the
>administrators of that mail server and request them to setup their mail
>server according to RFCs.
>
>If you have any other question or feel that this issue has not been resolved
>to your satisfaction, please feel free to contact us again.
>
>Best regards
>Technical support.

Indexed By Date Previous: FYI -- my new beast.