Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 2000)

Subject: Re: Mj2: Re: X Loop trapping
From: SRE <eckert @ climber . org>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 17:50:43 -0700
To: Joe Smith <Joe . Smith @ wcom . com>
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com, majordomo-workers @ greatcircle . com, mj2-dev @ csf . colorado . edu

At 02:39 PM 10/23/00, Joe Smith wrote:
>Any loop detector that is not based on the list name is doomed to failure.

Well, just trapping ANY x*loop header certainly stops loops! It also
stops a bunch of autoresponders that follow the convention of putting
loop headers in. This is the first time I've seen an ISP put them in
every message sent by every client, and I deliberately set my lists
up to look for ANY variant of x*loop because I've seen a bunch of them
and they were ALL automated messages.

If I make my server only trap headers added by my server, then I
don't catch vacation autoresponders and badly behaving routers.
(Yes, I look both in the headers and the message body...)