Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 2000)

Subject: Re: elist address or your address in message TO header
From: James M Galvin <galvin @ acm . org>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 14:07:47 -0400 (EDT)
To: Mitch Collinsworth <mitch @ ccmr . cornell . edu>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

First, I apologize for being imprecise when speaking of the message TO
header.  I meant it to include both TO and CC message headers, and
explicitly not to include RESENT-TO, RESENT-CC, or BCC.

With respect to Precedence and Sender being standards, I offer the
following observations.

Precedence is not a standard insofar as it's use is not documented by a
recognized "authority".  On the other hand, it has several de facto
uses, with the emphasis there on uses, i.e., more than one.  Thus, it's
hard to call it *a* standard, except perhaps in a specific context.

Sender is a standard, being sufficiently well-documented by the earliest
of email standards, RFC822.  It's supposed to be used to indicate the
identity of the sender of the message when that is different than the
author.  For technologies like majordomo, Lyris, or LISTSERV, it is
appropriate for them to set this value when resubmitting a message for
delivery, since they are applications that run outside an email system
(even when running stand-alone because they are not providing generic
email services, just including enough of an email system to serve the
elist).

However, to suggest that all elist technologies or services should set
this value is false.  For example, when the elist services of expansion
and distribution are provided as part of the MTA, i.e., the email system
never gives up control of the message, it would be inappropriate to set
this value.

Jim
--
James M. Galvin                                         <galvin@acm.org>