Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 2000)

Subject: Re: elist address or your address in message TO header
From: James M Galvin <galvin @ acm . org>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 17:03:58 -0400 (EDT)
To: Bernie Cosell <bernie @ fantasyfarm . com>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

    Perhaps someone could explain to me how this works: if I send a message
    to a person, and cc the mailing list, or if I send a message "to:" two
    mailing lists [both occur to me fairly regularly], what happens to the
    headers?  Can someone 'reply to all' to my message and have it go to the
    'all' that I, as the author of the message, intended?

The answer to your question is it depends on how the elist or its
supporting technology is configured.  The better technologies offer all
sorts of options, some they probably didn't intend, but it's amazing
what users will do given even half-a-chance.  I can tell you what a
well-behaved email system is supposed to do, but most MLM stuff is an
elist application that is not an email system (proudly so in some cases)
and thus all bets are off.

In any case, your question is a corollary to the question I've been
asking.  Not only is there no standard for how to identify an elist
message, there is no standard set of accepted practices for how to
configure or operate elists for particular purposes (e.g., discussion,
digest, or newsletter elist), although there are some de facto
practices.

The other thing to keep in mind is that once you submit a message for
delivery, usually to a local SMTP server to handle on your behalf, if
the message is destined to leave a local, corporate, or otherwise closed
environment, i.e., it is headed for the Internet, you have no control
over it whatsoever.  You certainly have no control over what a
recipient's local email system or client is likely to do to the message.
This is a tenet of the Internet email infrastructure.

Kinda gives you the "warm fuzzies", doesn't it?!  :-)

Enjoy,

Jim
--
James M. Galvin                                         <galvin@acm.org>