Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 2000)

Subject: Re: elist address or your address in message TO header
From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk @ magpage . com>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 17:46:40 -0400
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 12:44:43PM -0400, James M Galvin wrote:
> For every elist to which a person subscribes you have to get a few
> messages and then determine how best to identify those messages so you
> can filter them.  What I'm particularly noticing is a trend (in my
> opinion overzealous) towards personalization that is eliminating one of
> the key distinctions (and the only remaining general test) between
> personal email and elist messages.

I completely agree.  The newbies running many of the mailing lists
out there are either not thinking through all of the issues *or* are
selfish enough to attempt to deploy a solution which works for *them*...
but which hoses everyone else.

That said, a standard mechanism by which mailing list messages can be
filtered is highly desirable.  Clearly, "Subject:" line tags are a farce
and can't be used; the "To:" field can sometimes be used, as can the
"Cc:" field (and procmail has a mechanism to treat both the same way
w.r.t. filtering); "Sender:" can sometimes be used but many mailing
lists don't set it correctly -- and a surprising number of sites don't
treat it correctly; amd "X-Mailing-List:" is, AFAIK, not part of any RFC.

Time out for a quick check...okay, the procmail rulesets in place here
indicate that 331 out of 362 mailing lists can be filtered correctly
using "TO"; "Sender:" works for 23 of those left over; and the rest
fall into miscellaneous categories.

---Rsk